The ceiling in the Chapel of St Leger or St Lawrence

The ceiling in the Chapel of to St Leger or St Lawrence in the Chapel on the Bridge over the River Great Ouse at St Ives

The original roof of the Chapel on the Bridge was lost when two more storeys were added in the 17th century and when these were removed in 1930 this roof and ceiling replaced it. It is recorded in Herbert Norris's book the 'History of St Ives' that the upper storey was replaced after the fire of Great Fire in 1689 so perhaps the building always had at least one upper floor.

The 1930's timber ceiling

Detail of the 1930's ceiling within the Chapel on the Bridge at St Ives in Cambridgeshire

Detail of the 1930's ceiling within the Chapel on the Bridge at St Ives in Cambridgeshire

 

More of the timber ceiling

Detail of the 1930's ceiling within the Chapel on the Bridge at St Ives in Cambridgeshire

Detail of the 1930's ceiling within the Chapel on the Bridge at St Ives in Cambridgeshire