Images of Market Hill, the old market place and cattle market, in St Ives including some sets of photographs taken around 100 years apart
A view towards Market Hill from The Pavement in 2002 and another as it was around 1900. It is here in Market Hill that the famous Monday Markets are held, huge one's on the Bank Holidays and smaller ones on Fridays. Compare it with no traffic and no War Memorial, that had not happened yet!, notice the sheep pens of the old market in the lower right hand corner of the older photograph, and just to prove the point look at the Cattle Market photos below...
Market Hill and The Pavement as it was in 2002
The Market Place as it was around 1900
For what was possibly hundreds of years cattle and other livestock were sold in the wide streets of Market Hill and Broadway. The last cattle market was held in the streets on 27th September 1886 and on the 4th October 1886 the new market opened.
An old picture of the new Cattle Market in St Ives
The former Market Supervisors Office
The Cattle Market is now the site of St Ives Bus Station and part of the Car Park however elements of the market still exist. If one studies the old photo you can make out the Market Office in the centre background. It is still here today and was used was a licenced betting office by Totus Ltd. until recently (2014) when it was converted into a small cafe and bakery called Tom's Cakes.
The former Auction Ring (SE) of St Ives Cattle Market
The former Auction Ring (NE) of St Ives Cattle Market
The wooden building above now looks out of place in the middle of the car park but it was once the central point of the Cattle Market being the former Auction Ring. Cattle where once sold "under the hammer" within this building.
Shops on the north side of Market Hill, St Ives in 1900
Shops on the north side of Market Hill, St Ives in 2000
The buildings are late 17th and early 18th Century