The Waits at St Ives

Two photographs of the buildings on the Waits in St Ives taken around 100 years apart

The Waits, so called because the barges and lighters had to wait here to be loaded, unloaded or moved up and down stream. Prior to the building of the sluices along the river St Ives was the extreme limit of the tide flow on the River Great Ouse. It is now a nice place to sit and sometimes in the summer a Brass Band plays here

The Waits in 2000

The Waits in 2000 now a public mini-park and an overnight mooring place for visiting boats

The Waits in 2000 now a public mini-park and an overnight mooring place for visiting boats

 

The Waits circa 1900

The Waits circa 1900 being used as a public slip to the River Great Ouse

The Waits circa 1900 being used as a public slip to the River Great Ouse