The St Ives Timeline

Date Notable events in the history of St Ives

circa 5th Century

Slepe Founded

970

Aednoth built a church in Slepe

circa 980

Manor of Slepe owned by Mannesonne family

986

Manor passes to Ramsey Abbey

1001

St Ivo's body found

circa 1010

St Ivo's Priory Founded

1020

First written record of a Fair in St Ives

1086

St Ives in the Domesday Book

circa 1090

Monk 'Goselin' writes "The Life and Miracles of St. Ivo"

1107

First written record of a bridge at St. Ives

1110

Henry I grants the Eight Day Easter Fair Charter to St Ives

circa 1150

All Saints Church rebuilt in stone

circa 1200

King John grants charter to hold a weekly fair in St. Ives

1023

First authenticated account of a market in St Ives

1207

St Ivo's Priory destroyed by Fire

1238

St Ivo's Priory rebuilding completed

1354

Wooden bridge repaired

1384

1st Stone Bridge built to replace earlier wooden structures

1414

Present stone bridge built

1426

Altar of Bridge Chapel of St. Ledger (Lawrence) consecrated

1470

All Saints Church rebuilt to it's present form

1536

St Ives Priory demolished

1539

Dissolution of the Monasteries by Henry VIII

1561

First record in the St Ives Parish Register

1570

Bridge chapel acquired by Hugh Counsell Esq

1599 April 25th

Oliver Cromwell born in Huntingdon

1628

Manorial rights to St. Ives confiscated from Ramsey Abbey in the dissolution pass to the Earl of Manchester

1631

Oliver Cromwell moves to St. Ives

1636

Cromwell moves on to Ely

1645

Drawbridge built into the St Ives Bridge

1675

Annual dicing for Bibles starts in the Parish Church

1680

First Major Fire

1689

Second Major Fire

1715

Clock erected North East Bridge Street

1716

Bridge repaired and drawbridge replaced by two arches

1736

Upper floors added to Bridge Chapel

1801

Population of St. Ives totlas 2099; 1064 Females to 1035 Males. 478 houses.

1803

The Parish of St Ives was enclosed

1822

The New Bridges were built in London Road

1835

St Ives Staunch rebuilt

1839

The Particular Baptist Meeting House was built

1847

St Ives railway station opens

1851

Population of St. Ives 3522; 1885 Females to 1637 Males.

1858

Priory Barn demolished

1863

The Free Church opens

1864

Corn Exchange built

1870

Priory House demolished and rebuilt

1874

St Ives becomes a Borough

1885

Pilgrims Rest Almshouses constructed

1886

Last cattle market held in the streets on 27th September

1886

Cattle Market built and open on 4th October

1893

St Ives population around 3,000

1901

Statue to Oliver Cromwell erected in Market Hill

1902

Victoria Memorial erected in the Broadway

1912

Town Bathing Pool opens on Holt Island in the year of the Great Flood

1918

Light aircraft crashes into All Saints Church

1919

War Memorial Cross erected in Market Hill

1921

Town Council acquire the Bridge Tolls from the Duke of Manchester

1924

District Council buy Stanley House to become the Town Hall

1930

Bridge Chapel restored and upper floors removed

1933

The Norris Museum opens

1947

The Great flood swamps the town, worse than 1912

1948

Town Council buys the Corn Exchange for the Town

1957

St Ives population 3,078

1970

St Ives Railway Station Closes

1974

St Ives Rural District Council abolished and St. Ivo Centre Opens

1977

Town Council reacquire the Town Hall from the District Council

October 1980

Harrison Way Bypass Opened

1981

St Ives population 12,331

1988

St Ives twins with Stadtallendorf in West Germany

1991

St Ives population 15,314

1994

A14 dual carriageway opened

1999

St Ives Town Web Opens

 

 

 

[ Prev ] [Menu ]